Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 00:39:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tiananmen square (was: Does it's true?)

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:

>The alternatives are a reason for pause arn't they.  The good news is that we
>probably don't have to concern ourselves with them right now or any time soon.
> Hopefully!  They had their chance to use their military might in Vietnam but
>chose not to do it.  Taiwan could be another matter.  I suspect that Clinton is
>over there at about the right time.

Hmmm. China, Taiwan, and US.

One of these days a Chinese training exercise and a US training exercise
in the vicinity of Taiwan will go sour. One of their missiles will hit one
of our ships and we will summarily dispatch said ship.

If you don't think we will take out a Chinese vessel you better think
again. Twelve miles out is international waters. There are no DMZs out
there.

The point here is that Taiwan is bigger deal than most think. We already
did one "training exercise" out there. A Chinese missile splashed into the
ocean.

I can be pretty sure that our torpedo batteries were one teeny flip
covered push button away manned by a 20 year old petty officer from "Tube
One Away."

That, friends, is a very thin margin of error between two nuclear
superpowers.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/