Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:44:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Pekka Nikander <Pekka.Nikander@nomadiclab.com>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Subject:   Re: A minimal IEEE 802.1x aka EAPOL implementation available

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Pekka Nikander wrote:

> That's one of the tricky parts with the current architecture.
> I have to somehow tag the packets going to the userland with
> both the interface and MAC address.  The code is planned to
> do that, but I still don't know what's the cleanest way of
> passing this info to the userland.  meta doesn't seem to be
> a possibility since it cannot be passed to the userland side;
> I'm reluctant of putting this info on the mbuf proper since
> it would result in quite ugly code.  Suggestions?

metadata can theoretically be sent to the userland side of things using
the 'recvmsg()' system call if we defined
the correct way of passing the control information back and forth.

I have not done this yet because I didn't have a good example
of how it should be useful but this example you show is such a
case.