Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 14:18:44 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "RDWest Sr." <bsd-noob@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updateing perl?

Don't reply to your own message; send a completely new one.  To those
with threaded mail clients, it looks like this message is a reply to
your first one.  This may prevent people from reading this question,
since they would assume it was a followup to the first.

>     quick question...     i'm very new to BSD and new to any os other than
> win32..   so plz bare with me...    i won't hound yall to bad..    :)
>
> can i d/l the new version of perl for unix/linux and will it build
> in FreeBSD?
>
> does all packages have to be ported to BSD before they can be
> installed?

Those are two questions.  The answer to the second question is "no".
You can compile software from source anytime you want, provided the
source is available, or you can run Linux binaries under emulation.
Be aware, though, that most marginally popular software has a "port"
available, which does any necessary manual source "tweaking" for you.

As for your first question, Perl is a complicated piece of software,
and it is included with the base FreeBSD system.  For those reasons,
compiling a new version yourself would be ill-advised, unless you
really know what you're doing.  To be pithy about it, the very fact
that you asked the question means that you shouldn't do it.  That
said, ways to do that have been discussed at length on this list;
check the archives if you're curious.

HTH,
Lucas

P.S.  All those extra periods and spaces make your messages really
hard on the eyes.  Please don't do that.