Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:12:19 +0200
From:      herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 755C and FreeBSD's minimal hardware requirements - still usable?

Not a long time ago I got an old Thinkpad 600. With 300MHz and 165MB Ram.

Also the same challenge - small and fast ports for daily work. I run X11 with fluxbox (installed without! hal support).

Recommendable ports are: Opera (smaller then Firefox) or even Elinks (there is a setting 'graphic mode'). Mutt for e-mails, vim (also gvim) is my text editor - it replaces word processing software. Centerim for instant messaging (instead of pidgin). Axyftp is a fast ftp-client, also for X11. Generally all the motif-programs are small and fast.

For a few bucks I got the PCMCIA-Card TP-Link TL-WN610G. It works perfect, but only without hal.

And my battery lasts easily over three hours, almost four with just a text editor running.

Maybe you go for a bigger harddisk? Costs a few bucks and will have enough space for BSD 7.2 (what I use) and some of the ports? Compiling your own kernel and cleaning out the kernel source and the distfiles of the ports is also a good idea..

Cheers
herb langhans