Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:12:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "TheGlenMann" <cumquott@suscom.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LPD protocol screwup and ctl_renametf error

Hi all-

I want to be able to print from Windows to LPD running on FreeBSD. I
cannot get it to work (via the print test page option in Windows).

In windows I have a printer HP LaserJet 6L, with the correct driver, using
standard TCP/IP port 192.168.1.205 (where I have FreeBSD/LPD). The port is
set as LPR and the Queue name is hp6LServ. The windows machine does
communicate with LPD, but...

On FreeBSD I run lpd -c -l -W, and `cat textfile | lpr -P hp6LServ' works
fine. When I send the test page from Windows, though, I get these errors:

Oct 18 12:45:33 ux-01 lpd[578]: lt_gmann.domain.com requests recvjob
hp6LServ
Oct 18 12:45:38 ux-01 lpd[578]: Error receiving job from
lt_gmann.domain.com:
Oct 18 12:45:38 ux-01 lpd[578]: protocol screwup: ^[%-12345X@PJL SET
PAGEPROTECT=AUTO
Oct 18 12:45:40 ux-01 lpd[579]: lt_gmann.domain.com requests recvjob
hp6LServ
Oct 18 12:45:40 ux-01 lpd[579]: Error receiving job from
lt_gmann.domain.com:
Oct 18 12:45:40 ux-01 lpd[579]: hp6LServ: ctl_renametf error link
(rfA014lt_gmann.domain.com,cfA014lt_gmann.domain.com): File exists

When I look in /var/spool/output/hp6LServ, yep, there are the files,
though they are small, containing only the H, P, J, l, U, and N lpd lines:

Docs on the subtleties on LPD seem to be in short supply. It looks like
the PAGEPROTECT thing breaks the whole system, then the cannot rename
seems to be Windows trying again to send the file...

How can I determine what is wrong? I suspect that permissions are
preventing transfer of the actual print file (given on the l line), as I
cannot find it on the system.

Thanks...
-Glen Mann
--
"I may not have had enough of me, but I've had enough of you."
Robert Fripp, Exposure