Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:18:37 +0200
From:      daniel huebleitner <e1504627@student.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root on ZFS from USB3.0

Hello everybody,

I hope this is the right mailing list for this question. I bought a new =
USB3.0 (Intenso slim line 16G) and did a clean root on zfs on it. After =
3 months I noticed a couple of file corruptions in /usr/src and /lib. =
zpool scrub/clear changed nothing. So I fixed the single file in /lib by =
deleting and reinstalling it, which worked. I thought I do the same with =
the /usr/src. Deleted the whole dataset and created a new one, but when =
I downloaded the src into the new dataset everything crashed. The system =
didn=E2=80=99t respond at all and I had to recover it to a new USB =
drive. The old one is showing up correct with camcontrol devlist and =
gpart shows the correct Partition layout but thats it. I think its =
irrevocably destroyed but I=C2=B4m not sure. /var and /tmp are in a =
different pool and atime is turned off on zroot. I am afraid that =
something like that could happen again in a couple of months. What did I =
do wrong and how can I prevent it. Was it just bad luck with the =
hardware or should I move /usr/src also away from the USB to reduce =
read/write?

Thanks in advance. I=C2=B4m glad for every response.

Kind regards Daniel

#############zfs layout############

NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot                      2.25G  26.3G   160M  /
zroot/home                   19K  26.3G    19K  /home
zroot/usr                  2.10G  26.3G  1.04G  /usr
zroot/usr/local             492M  26.3G   492M  /usr/local
zroot/usr/obj                19K  26.3G    19K  /usr/obj
zroot/usr/ports             160M  26.3G   160M  /usr/ports
zroot/usr/ports/distfiles    19K  26.3G    19K  /usr/ports/distfiles
zroot/usr/ports/packages     19K  26.3G    19K  /usr/ports/packages
zroot/usr/src               433M  26.3G   433M  /usr/src
zstrip                     96.7G   795G    96K  /zstrip
zstrip/tmp                   96K   795G    96K  /tmp
zstrip/var                 96.7G   795G   336M  /var
zstrip/var/backups         96.3G   795G  1020K  /var/backups
zstrip/var/backups/mirr    6.01G   795G  6.01G  /var/backups/mirr
zstrip/var/backups/raid    87.9G   795G  87.9G  /var/backups/raid
zstrip/var/backups/root    2.43G   795G  2.43G  /var/backups/root
zstrip/var/crash             96K   795G    96K  /var/crash
zstrip/var/db              37.1M   795G  5.45M  /var/db
zstrip/var/db/pkg          31.7M   795G  31.7M  /var/db/pkg
zstrip/var/empty             96K   795G    96K  /var/empty
zstrip/var/log              860K   795G   860K  /var/log
zstrip/var/mail             120K   795G   120K  /var/mail
zstrip/var/run              168K   795G   168K  /var/run
zstrip/var/tmp               96K   795G    96K  /var/tmp

#############zroot properties############

NAME   PROPERTY              VALUE                  SOURCE
zroot  type                  filesystem             -
zroot  creation              Mon Aug 14 19:49 2017  -
zroot  used                  2.25G                  -
zroot  available             26.3G                  -
zroot  referenced            160M                   -
zroot  compressratio         1.35x                  -
zroot  mounted               yes                    -
zroot  quota                 none                   default
zroot  reservation           none                   default
zroot  recordsize            128K                   default
zroot  mountpoint            /                      local
zroot  sharenfs              off                    default
zroot  checksum              fletcher4              local
zroot  compression           off                    default
zroot  atime                 off                    local
zroot  devices               on                     default
zroot  exec                  on                     default
zroot  setuid                on                     default
zroot  readonly              off                    default
zroot  jailed                off                    default
zroot  snapdir               hidden                 default
zroot  aclmode               discard                default
zroot  aclinherit            restricted             default
zroot  canmount              on                     default
zroot  xattr                 off                    temporary
zroot  copies                1                      default
zroot  version               5                      -
zroot  utf8only              off                    -
zroot  normalization         none                   -
zroot  casesensitivity       sensitive              -
zroot  vscan                 off                    default
zroot  nbmand                off                    default
zroot  sharesmb              off                    default
zroot  refquota              none                   default
zroot  refreservation        none                   default
zroot  primarycache          all                    default
zroot  secondarycache        all                    default
zroot  usedbysnapshots       0                      -
zroot  usedbydataset         160M                   -
zroot  usedbychildren        2.10G                  -
zroot  usedbyrefreservation  0                      -
zroot  logbias               latency                default
zroot  dedup                 off                    default
zroot  mlslabel                                     -
zroot  sync                  standard               default
zroot  refcompressratio      1.00x                  -
zroot  written               160M                   -
zroot  logicalused           2.99G                  -
zroot  logicalreferenced     160M                   -
zroot  volmode               default                default
zroot  filesystem_limit      none                   default
zroot  snapshot_limit        none                   default
zroot  filesystem_count      none                   default
zroot  snapshot_count        none                   default
zroot  redundant_metadata    all                    default

#############zpool status############

  pool: zmirr
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zmirr       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p7  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p7  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  mirror-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p8  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p8  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zraid
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zraid       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p4  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p3  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p4  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p5  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p4  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p5  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-3  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p6  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p5  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p6  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zroot                           ONLINE       0     0     0
	  diskid/DISK-12042305000172p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zstrip
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

	NAME                                      STATE     READ WRITE =
CKSUM
	zstrip                                    ONLINE       0     0   =
  0
	  diskid/DISK-575843314137325034323130p3  ONLINE       0     0   =
  0

errors: No known data errors=