Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 09:19:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Howto install apache on FreeBSD10

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014, Matthias Fechner wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I did yesterday an upgrade from FreeBSD 9 to 10.
> And now I'm in the process to rebuild all installed ports.
>
> I started with apache22, as it is the most important one.

When you start to rebuild ports after a major version upgrade, they must
all be rebuilt.  Apache is a higher-level port, and depends on
lower-level ports, which should be rebuilt first.  There is a procedure
at the end of the portmaster(8) man page for rebuilding all ports, but
it's for the old package system.  Here is an adjusted one for pkg.  It
has not been tested much yet, but is at least closer than the original:

1. portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list
2. Update the ports tree
3. portmaster -ty --clean-distfiles
4. portmaster -Faf
5. pkg delete -afy
6. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
7. Back up any files in /usr/local you wish to save,
    such as configuration files in /usr/local/etc
8. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
    to make sure that they are really empty
9. Install ports-mgmt/pkg and then ports-mgmt/portmaster
    Remove both ~/installed-port-list
10. portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`