Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:13:46 -0500
From:      Skip Ford <skip.ford@verizon.net>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.oberon.net>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: INDEX[-5] files were removed from CVS.

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Setting PORTS_INDEX (in environment or pkgtools.conf) to some other value
> than portupgrade's default (PORTSDIR/INDEX) should avoid the constant
> rebuilding for portupgrade users, redefining INDEXFILE in make.conf to
> something different than INDEX or INDEX-5 should avoid it for
> non-portupgrade users.
>
> Perhaps somebody can verify this so it can go into an UPDATING entry...

FWIW, I got tired of waiting for INDEX builds a while ago and
started to touch(1) an empty INDEX and INDEX.db after every cvsup
of the ports tree.

Portupgrade can still upgrade packages and the INDEXes stopped
being built so I never went back to figure out why it seemed to
work.  The db is built if it's older so touching works but I never
figured out what tries to build the INDEX itself.  It didn't
happen everytime IIRC.  It could just be a coincidence that it
stopped building after I tried to "solve" the problem.

The only functionality I missed was the ability to 'portupgrade -N'
but that can be worked around easily enough.  If somebody with more
knowlege of how it all works says I shouldn't do that or it doesn't
really work like I think it does, I'll stop.  But I haven't had an
INDEX for months, and my system seems to work fine.

I'm just glad there's going to be some resolution.  Serving up old
INDEX files didn't make much sense.

--
Skip, who doesn't work for Verizon.