Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:32:44 -0700
From:      "Juan Lorenzana" <lorenzaj@agcs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, lorenzaj@agcs.com
Subject:   nfs cookie spoofing patch

--------------BA97B6A29F094849AF58B65D

I was wondering if I could get some help.

I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.8 machine configured as a nfs server.  We are
trying to get another machine running 2.2.8 to mount from the nfs
server.  Our challenge is that we are using a virtual ip and would like
to mount the virtual ip.  We are already doing this with SCO unix as
well as Sun Solaris.  The problem is that when I type

mount -t argonnfs:/u /u
(I have also tried with -o -i,-s,-r=1024,-w=1024 options and all
permutation of the options, including mount_nfs -T)

I'll hang waiting for the request to time out.  After extensive trouble
shooting, I think it is because of the "security feature" to prevent NFS
cookie spoofing based attacks.  Basically, there is an nfs check that
will not allow freebsd nfs client to request an nfs mount and have the
machine where the nfs request is being made to reply with its real ip
instead of the virtual.  It is as if freebsd hangs becuase the reply for
the mount came from a second ip address.  Please reference the following
url from Terry Lambert.  I tried to find the patch that was mentioned in
the url, but could not.
 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=irt&id=Pine.BSF.3.91.961031140040.536K-100000@dyslexic.phoenix.net

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction. I would like to
disable the nfs check or find a work around.  The reason we use the
virtual ip address is because we have designed some failover code that
allows us to failover nfs in about 3 seconds, from one system to
another.  By passing the virtual ip around from one machine to another,
all the machine that had mounted the filesystem never really notice an
outage. With a RAID attached and exporting the filesystem, we can
achieve high availability of data (not quite fault tolerant, but getting
there).

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,

--
Juan Lorenzana
AG Communication Systems

602-582-7442
lorenzaj@agcs.com

--------------BA97B6A29F094849AF58B65D

<HTML>
I was wondering if I could get some help.

<P>I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.8 machine configured as a nfs server.&nbsp;
We are trying to get another machine running 2.2.8 to mount from the nfs
server.&nbsp; Our challenge is that we are using a virtual ip and would
like to mount the virtual ip.&nbsp; We are already doing this with SCO
unix as well as Sun Solaris.&nbsp; The problem is that when I type

<P>mount -t argonnfs:/u /u
<BR>(I have also tried with -o -i,-s,-r=1024,-w=1024 options and all permutation
of the options, including mount_nfs -T)

<P>I'll hang waiting for the request to time out.&nbsp; After extensive
trouble shooting, I think it is because of the "security feature" to prevent
NFS cookie spoofing based attacks.&nbsp; Basically, there is an nfs check
that will not allow freebsd nfs client to request an nfs mount and have
the machine where the nfs request is being made to reply with its real
ip instead of the virtual.&nbsp; It is as if freebsd hangs becuase the
reply for the mount came from a second ip address.&nbsp; Please reference
the following url from Terry Lambert.&nbsp; I tried to find the patch that
was mentioned in the url, but could not.
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=irt&id=Pine.BSF.3.91.961031140040.536K-100000@dyslexic.phoenix.net">http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=irt&amp;id=Pine.BSF.3.91.961031140040.536K-100000@dyslexic.phoenix.net</A>;

<P>Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction. I would like
to disable the nfs check or find a work around.&nbsp; The reason we use
the virtual ip address is because we have designed some failover code that
allows us to failover nfs in about 3 seconds, from one system to another.&nbsp;
By passing the virtual ip around from one machine to another, all the machine
that had mounted the filesystem never really notice an outage. With a RAID
attached and exporting the filesystem, we can achieve high availability
of data (not quite fault tolerant, but getting there).

<P>Any help is appreciated.&nbsp; Thanks.

<P>Regards,

<P>--
<BR>Juan Lorenzana
<BR>AG Communication Systems