Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks to all: Netscape & XFree86 OK

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:
>
> >Thanks, everybody for your help.
>
> >I downloaded the latest XFree86 from XFree86.org, and downloaded the
> >current Netscape4 port from FreeBSD.org, re-built the kernel to use
> >SYSVSM, and installed.
>
> >Everything is up and running. Netscape doesn't look as nice as it does on
> >Windows95, but I hope to be able to fix that soon.
>
> By "not as nice", do you mean
>
> (a) graphics are not as nice, they are dithered when Win95 was pure colors, or

mostly this.

> (b) the interface is not as nice; it looks weird.

a bit of this too.

> If (a), the place to start with is probably your XF86 config; try to
> get an accelerated server and a greater # of bits per pixel.

I started XF86 at 16 bpp and then ran netscpae, graphics and images looked
much better.

Having netscape start up in a window bigger than my screen is a bit
annoying. That must be an XF86 thing.

One problem I still have is the quality of smaller typefaces
(<font size=1>), either I am not at the optimal resolution (1024 x 768),
another XF86 thing, or I don't have the fonts under control (netscape
thing) I opted not to download the Chinese and Cyrilic fonts. I suspect
that this is a resolution problem.

Is reading the error log the way to tell what resolution I am in?

Are the netsape README and RELNOTES the only documentation for the
netscape release?

> If (b), you may have to download the source and start hacking.
> Meanwhile, console yourself by clicking with the middle mouse button
> on links (the #1 advantage of the Unix versions of NS).

hacking source and recompiling can be rather time-consuming, I think I'll
save that for when I am a little more up to speed with all of this.

The middle mouse button, was just what I was looking for.

When I double clicked on a download link, I got an ascii download of
binary garbage on my netscape screen.

The middle mouse button, prompts me for a directory, in which to
download. I hate to think how long it would have taken me to find
this by trial and error.

> Hope this helps...

Great help, thanks loads.