Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:48:07 -0500
From:      "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <mit@mitayai.net>
To:        "Dennis Jun" <dennisjun@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <chat@gtabug.org>
Subject:   RE: gtabug - Disk error 0x4, hard error reading fsbn

hmmm... what are you using to copy the disk images?

if UNIX, i use...

dd if=DISKNAME.flp of=/dev/fd0
(fd0=a:)

if NT/2000/9x, i use the fdimage program from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools :

fdimage -f 1.44M -v DISKNAM>.flp a:

For the x86 disk images, DISKNAME should be mfsroot and kern from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/<RELEASE>/floppies/

For <RELEASE> I use 4.2-RELEASE, or sometimes i grab a snapshot from
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/

Some things i've experienced...

A problem i had once was i downloaded the disk image in ASCII mode...
My assistant once discovered that the disk images he had downloaded were
bad, but after a re-download they worked fine. Weird, but it happens...
I also once screwed it up 'cause i has my BIOS thinking it was a 1.2M
drive...

Hope this helps...
Mit