Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 04:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
To:        Nabil Hassan Mustafa <b98045@lums.edu.pk>
Cc:        rljumps@gotnet.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question about X

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Nabil Hassan Mustafa wrote:

> To install X- windows managers simply install the package, and then in the
> /usr/X11R6/bin directory, rename the fvwm95 file to twm. Whatever the new
> windows manager, just rename it into twm, and that will become the
> manager.

Well that is one way around it, but it is not particularily the right way.
You need to have an .xinitrc file in your home dir that has the settings
that you want, whether that be exec fvwm, exec twm, exec openstep, exec
....  Also along with the .xinitrc file in your ~/ directory you need a
.fvwmrc , .twmrc or what ever win mngr you use.  Ofcourse if you don't
place .xinitrc, and .*wmrc files in your home, the computer will use what
is standard on that system which is normally located in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11  there you will see many system.xinitrc, and
system.fvwmrc in their respective directories.  Modify those and save
them to your home dir.  Don't alter the system ones since you will need
them later if you ever want the standard setup, ect.
Other config files can all be either located in specified locations of in
home dirs.  That is how every user can have his oun window setup.

Hope this sheds a bit more light on X
Tamer Ziady

> Nabil Hassan Mustafa
> Lahore University of Management Sciences
> When someone says it's the principle, not the money, the money is the
> principle.
> email :  b98045@lums.edu.pk
>
> On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Ron Jumps wrote:
>
> > I have just installed freebsd 2.1.7 and everything seems to have gone OK.
> > My question is about X configuration. When I startx I get the twn widows
> > manager, I would like to install fvwm or fvwm95-2 and I don't know what or
> > where the config file is. If someone could shed some light on this, it
> > would help me greatly.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ron Jumps
> > C.A.T.Systems
> > rljumps@gotnet.net
> >
> > "Everything should be made as simple as possible,
> >                         but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
> >
> > "Not everything that counts can be counted,
> >                         and not everything that can be counted counts." -
> > Albert Einstein

						Intuitive Design Archive
						http://www.in-design.com
						archive@in-design.com