Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:44:01 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fs corruption (ATA / 4.4-REL)

Keith Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:51:19PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> > A re-read of your original post reveals it's a k6 450. Touch the CPU
> > heatsink. If you burn your finger that's the problem :)
>
> Its a K6-2 450.  The heatsink is fine (not even remotely warm to the
> touch).  All the fans are running correctly and the ambiant temp in
> the case seems ok.  The MB doesn't have the env monitoring stuff so
> I don't know the exact temps.
>
> > Seriously tho' there were problems with one of the k6 chips, but it's
> > so long ago I can't remember clearly whether it's the 450. What's the
> > core voltage printed on the chip, and what's the M/B core voltage set
> > to.
> > There should also be a revision number. While you do that I'll see if I
> > can find the info. If I'm correct there were two versions with different
> > core voltages - one of which was suspect. Anyone remember this?
>
> I remember something about that.  I have the later revision (the one with
> the 2.2 core voltage).. I don't know what the version of the chip is.
> The stepping is 12. (it would require me to take the heatsink off and
> unglue it (from the heatsink compound)).

Yeah, I think this is the good one.

> > What brand is the mobo, maybe someone else has one.
>
> Its an FIC PA-2013.

Never seen one of these, sorry.

> I did check the IDE cable.  I didn't see any problem with it.  I replaced
> it with a brand new cable I had in a box and it didn't make any
> difference.
>
> It should be noted, that I have had FreeBSD on this machine before.  It
> was a while ago (3.2 I believe).  But, until now, I haven't done to much
> with this system.  3.2 installed fine and I didn't have any corruption
> problems.  I haven't gotten very far with 4.4 though...  Can't get past
> compining the stuff in ports.
>
> --
> Keith Mitchell
> Email: kmitch@guru.org                          PGP key available upon request

Well I'm about out of good advice appart from the usual stuff, which
you seem to have covered :(

<Desperation> Pull ALL the cards and the LS120 and run from one drive if
possible. Beg/borrow/steal an old display card (ISA is good when you're
desperate).

A bad bus master implementation/duff card could hog the bus.
If both drives fail like this you are left with the M/B as prime
suspect.
This is pretty thin I know.

BTW the transfer rate on the Yamaha looks a bit strange.

--
ian j hart