Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 02:29:29 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

At 5:08 PM -0700 2002/05/21, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  Only twinks pronounce "UPS" as "oops" and "SCO" as "scoh".  You are
>  supposed to pronounce the letters of acronyms of three letters or
>  less.  More than three letters depends on whether they are pronouncible
>  (e.g. RAID, RADAR, UNICEF, LASER, etc. vs. TANSTAAFL, CCITT, etc.).

	My first "real" employer (after college) was the Defense
Communications Agency (DCA).  They later changed their name to the
Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA).  We had an entire acronym
dictionary, and I think I might still have my copy around here
somewhere.

	We had U-P-S devices on some of our servers, although some people
pronounced the word as "uh-ps".  We also used some SCO machines on
certain projects, and taking our clue from SCO Federal Sales, most of
us pronounced it as "skoh".

	As for the rest, well I could find our acronym dictionary and
drop it on your head, but that's the sort of thing that I tend to
reserve for my worst enemies.  ;-)

>  Even someone who learned English in the "Ooh sah" should know that... ;^).

	No, that's Etats-Unie, or so I'm told.

	Strange, that would make it the EU, whereas I am currently in
Brussels which is the capital of the EU, and yet I am not anywhere
near the US.  ;-)

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>