Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:14:53 -0500
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CUPS problems

At 06:41 PM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 03:36:43PM -0500, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> > At 03:26 PM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> > >I cvsup'd main & ports this weekend, and now my CUPS printing is
> broken :-(
> > >
> > >Looking in the logfiles it appears that it's not finding somehting called
> > >"EPS" Ghostscript.
> > >
> > >What is this, and how do I fix the problem?
> >
> > Well, I don't know how you had CUPS set up, or what you are running -
> > usually ghostscript-gnu-7.05_3 (the current port) should do the trick. I
> > would use portupgrade and cvsup/ That seems to be the easiest way. :))
> > HTH,
> > PJ
> >

>Thanks.
>
>Unfortunately, that's excalty what I did. In breif cvsup ports and main,
>make world, portsupgrade.
>
>I'm looking around, and it appears that there are now 4 cups related ports.
>cups, cibs-base, cups-lpr, and cups-prtoraster.
>
>The description files in these ports leave me confused. Can you tell me
>jhow they fit together?

I'm no great expert at this. I had to muddle through all the instructions
and research google , etc., myself.
Anyway, you probably don't have too much of a problem if you reread all the
manuals and installation instructions:
the ghostscript-gnu-7.05_3 is necessary for cups to work correctly on *nix
systems. The gimp-print program provides most of the drivers. In my case
that is the Epson Stylus color 900. There are other drivers available
usually from the manufacturers of the printer.
My installation includes the following:
cups-1.1.18.0_4 - this is the metaport - installs the whole kit & kaboodle
for cups (not gimp or ghost)
cups-base-1.1.18.0_4
cups-lpr-1.1.18.0_4 - this is for BSD compatibility binaries - the lp* commands
cups-pstoraster-7.05.5_2 Since *nix printing is mainly for PostScript, this
is the interpreter to print to non-PostScript printers
ghostscript-gnu-7.05_3 - This is the PostScript GNU interpreter, necessary
for Cups to function - This is a special version for *nix printing - check
the EPS website (I think that's their initials
gimp-print-4.2.4 - These are the printer drivers

As for the rest, you have to set up the configuration which is really not
hard if you follow all the instructions. It took me a while because I was
really unfamiliar with all that. I'm sorry I can't help much more than that
as I am really limited for time.

very helpful. Send a
message to cups-request@easysw.com to subscribe.

HTH