Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:05:04 -0700
From:      Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu>
To:        Martin Simmons <martin@lispworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using AMD with NFS Mounts

> AFAIK, you can't avoid the symlinks for nfs mounts (it only affects local
> type:=link mounts).  Also, autofs (and hence autofs_use_lofs) isn't
> implemented on FreeBSD (it only works in conjunction with autofs on Linux and
> Solaris).

Is there a particular reason that autofs isn't implemented in FreeBSD?
 I've asked this question before on a few other lists and haven't
really gotten a satisfactory answer.  Autofs is supported by Sun,
Linux and Mac - basically everyone except FreeBSD.  I actually talked
about why it wasn't implemented with both Alfred Perlstein a while
ago, and Jordan Hubbard more recently, and it seems that originally
Apple threatened Alfred with a lawsuit for patent infringement way
back when, but Jordan's more recent position on the matter was that
the patent thing probably wouldn't be an issue anymore, but that
Alfred's original code would more or less have to be re-written at
this point, due to changes in the FreeBSD over the years.

Not having autofs on FreeBSD is a real thorn in my side.  I'm trying
to get FreeBSD implemented more at UCSC, and specifically the School
of Engineering, as a large-volume file server, and the lack of a
proper auto-mounter that works the same way (or at least close enough)
as all our other systems is a huge roadblock.

I'm not much of a kernel hacker, otherwise I might attempt this
myself, but it seems like this can't possibly be that hard, especially
since it's implemented in Linux, which is GPL'd and therefore open to
porting.

I'm trying hard to not sound whiny here, because I certainly do
appreciate all the work that everyone has done on FreeBSD...so please
don't take this e-mail as a complaint.  I'm just trying to understand
how we got here, and what it might take to get autofs working on
FreeBSD.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu