Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:25:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Nathaniel G H <bsd_appliance@bemail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Horrible hard drive problem!

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Nathaniel G H wrote:

> I just configured a FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE machine with Samba from the
> ports collection, and began loading 600+ megs of data into it over the
> network.  After several minutes, the following appeared on ttyv0:
>
> wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0)
> wd0:wdtimeout() DMA status 4
>
> wd0s1f: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command writing fsbn 21069488
> of 21069488-21069615 (wd0s1 bn 21726688; cn 21554 tn 4 sn 4) (status
> 80<busy> error 1<no_dam>)
> wd0: wdunwedge failed (status 80<busy> error 80<badblk>)
>
> wd0 is a brand new Western Digital 30+ gigs hard drive.  Before I
> installed FreeBSD on this new drive, this machine ran Linux and had a
> Maxtor 30+ gigs hard drive.  After several months of reliable service,
> messages like the above began to appear on the console, progressively
> growing in number, until the hard drive stopped working altogether.  I
> replaced the drive and the OS hoping that one or the other was the
> source of the problem, but apparently they weren't.

You have either a severely flaky IDE controller or it's time to call WD
for an RMA. Skip the cheapo Maxtors and WDs and buy a Seagate or Quantum
anyway, they're not worth the trouble.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/