Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 12:44:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        fredriks@mcs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mtree confused?

>> mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist  -p /usr/include
>> missing: ./machine (not created: File exists)
>> missing: ./net (not created: File exists)
>> missing: ./netccitt (not created: File exists)
>> missing: ./netinet (not created: File exists)
>>

>> 	Now, how come the file can be both missing and exsisting???

They are missing as directories.  The -d option says to ignore
everything except directory-type files.  `mtree -eU -f' would say that
that they have the wrong type (and not descend into them).

>The fix to this is not real easy, but should be something like adding
>a -H option that says follow symlinks when doing the tree traversal.

Then mtree would be adjusting another part of the tree.

>Bruce, do you see other solutions to this problem, or is what I state above
>infact the right way to fix this?

I just removed the non-directories from the spec.  They need to be links for
development.

Bruce