Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:45:57 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

"Frank Pawlak" writes:

> Even the deer, a relatively small animal during the rut can pose a
> danger.  And that leads me to my point.  Knowing what the animal is
> all about before entering its' environment enables you to minimize the
> risk of harm and allow the animal to live right along side of you.

Rutting has very little to do with deer and automobiles. "Headlights"
are the cause of automobile/deer unintentional interfaces. Its common
for a deer to freeze staring into the oncoming headlights. Often the
deer is on the side of the road, freezes, doesn't panic until the
automobile is very close. Then jumps in front of the automobile.

Lets cure this problem once and for all, lets outlaw headlights.

"the deer, a relatively small animal"  Hah! You've never seen a typical
Detroit-built American Land Barge totaled by one little deer? One
little deer can easily destroy the bumper, headlights, grill, hood,
fender and windshield. If the roof line gets bent too, the vehicle is
usually totaled.

There is probably not a single Wal-Mart or K-Mart in the continental US
that doesn't sell "deer whistles" to be mounted on your front bumper.
The theory is a deer will run from the right high pitched whistle as
some vehicles were observed to be hit by deer very rarely, and guessed
this was due to their sound.