Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 04:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/54738: Remove references to branches/ section of FTP site

The following reply was made to PR docs/54738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To: Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:24:27 -0400

 On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:40:45AM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
 > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 11:13:28PM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
 > > 	We want to remove the branches/ section of the FTP site.  This
 > > 	patch, removes all references to that from the Handbook that I
 > > 	could find.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > You mean ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches, or
 > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/{FreeBSD-stable|FreeBSD-current} ?

 They're the same thing:

 ftp-master 4 % ls -ld FreeBSD-current FreeBSD-stable branches
 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     wheel     17 Sep  6  2001 FreeBSD-current@ -> branches/-current
 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     wheel     19 Sep  6  2001 FreeBSD-stable@ -> branches/4.0-stable
 drwxrwxr-x  6 archive  archive  512 Apr 24  2000 branches/
 ftp-master 5 %

 If that causes more messes I can help clean them up.  We're hoping to do this
 removal because the support for it among the mirror sites is already flakey.
 Many of the mirror sites don't carry branches/ at all.  One of the machines
 that makes up ftp.freebsd.org only carries a few of the things that are in
 the branches/-current.

 --
 						Ken Smith
 - From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu