Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 19:38:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        h jared agnew <hagnew@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, h jared agnew wrote:

> i have been told that the current is only source code, if this is true, and
> I dont have freebsd up how do I get the current support for freebsd if this
> is not true please write and tell what is the directory at freebsd.org when
> ftp'ing
> thanks
> jared agnew ECLIPSE SOFTWARE

You do this by not starting off with current.  Let me say it
unambiguously, you can't boot from current, unless you happen to have a
next door neighbor who's a core team member.  You get one of the standard
sets, either from the 2.0.5 cdrom, or one of the various SNAPs, and boot
from that.

To get from there to current, you get the current sources using either
ctm or sup, then you go into single user and make world.  Before you
reboot after the make world, you build yourself a new kernel from the
same current sources, install it, then reboot.  Result -- a current system.

I think that this really is too daunting to do without at least some
experience with FreeBSD first.  Build a couple kernels with your cdrom or
SNAP level system, get used to it, and be successful at it.  Build world
with that level system, and survive it.  Make a doubel handfull of ports,
get used to fielding some small problems.  Maybe that last will be hard
to do -- ports is _way_ better than it used to be.

Go download all the FAQs, read them, install some level of FreeBSD, and
play with it.  When  you're ready to upgrade, you'll get all the help you
need, right here.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |