Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:22:08 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: getnewbuf inconsistent EMPTY queue in 3.0-RELEASE

On Fri Dec  4 07:47:27 1998, I wrote:
>I've just upgraded a Dell OptiPlex GXi from 32MB to 96MB.  When I
>increase MAXUSERS from 20 to 40 and SEMMNU from 350 to 1000, the
>system panics `getnewbuf: inconsistent EMPTY queue, qindex=0'
>immediately after the message `changing root device to wd0s1a'.
>I don't have a crashdump because (as recommended) I use dumpon(8)
>to specify the dumpdev, and the system doesn't get that far :-(.

I've since tried dumping to both wd0b and da1b.  In both cases, I
get the message `device bad' (ie XXdump() returns ENXIO).

With DDB enabled, I could get some tracebacks.  These show that the
problem is occurring when XXopen() calls dsopen() calls dsinit() calls
geteblk() to read the master boot record.  If the dumpdev is
configured, it occurs inside setdumpdev(), otherwise it occurs inside
vfs_mountroot().  Presumably the crashdump is failing because the
dsopen() hadn't completed (and hence the disk device is not open).

Presumably, the real problem is that the buffer cache is either
uninitialised (possibly due to lack of KVM), or has been corrupted.
Unfortunately, it is not practical to have the system off-air for an
extended period whilst I poke around with DDB.  Can anyone suggest
which knobs to tweak to resolve the problem (or even where to look for
the problem).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au