Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:23:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNOME 2.22 has been released!

--==_Exmh_1206563035_13219P

> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:24:58 -0400
> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 01:23 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >> GNOME 2.22.0 has just been merged into the ports tree.
> >
> > One more problem with recent Gnome - Xorg now all time eats CPU
> > 10-30% constantly.
> >
> > Exiting from all applications lowers that numbers, but even several
> > percents of CPU for idle system is too much.
> >
> > Any ideas why it may happens and how to cure ?
>
> No idea.  This I have not noticed.  There was some recent work that went
> into xorg-server to handle a jerky mouse problem.  Perhaps that is
> contributing to your CPU problem.

The "jerky mouse" fix should reduce CPU time, not increase it, as I
think it eliminates the huge number of gettimeofday calls (expensive in
FreeBSD) and replaces them with cheap call (which I forget) as the mouse
was only using it to tell that time was passing and does not care what
time it is.

On my system (with hald not running), I see well under 1% cpu use by
xorg.

Note that some apps can really make xorg busy. Any flash running?
Firefox (even ignoring flash) seems to do things that cause xorg
utilization to go way up for certain operations.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1206563035_13219P