Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:40:32 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        kitsune <kitsune@gmx.co.uk>
Cc:        ggilliss@netpublishing.com
Subject:   Re: Brilliant and very useful for FreeBSD, IMHO

kitsune wrote:
 > On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:23:31 -0500 Eric Anderson
 > <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:
 >> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote: [..snip..]
 >>
 >>> I love FreeBSD, but not even I would get the idea to run it as
 >>> a desktop. It's not good at it, and if someone asks for my
 >>> opinion, I hope it never will be. Even Microsoft have realised
 >>> that it takes a different os to run a server then a desktop.
 >>> They have a plethora of different editions, like XP Home
 >>> Edition and W2K Advanced Server. As long as FreeBSD excels on
 >>> servers, chances are it will not make a perfect desktop. I say
 >>> we have enough desktop os's, lets keep FreeBSD kicking ass on
 >>> the servers.

*snip*

 >> Just for informations sake, I taught my wife to use FreeBSD as
 >> her desktop OS in about 15 minutes.  She got used to fluxbox and
 >> used it like she has known it for years.  Also, recently I showed
 >> a unix "newbie" FreeBSD, and let him play with is and several
 >> Linux os's, and he finally decided on FreeBSD because (in his
 >> words) "it's just so simple and easy to get things done".
 >>
 >> Just my $0.02.
 >>
 >> Eric
 >

 > I Agree. FreeBSD works great for desktops/workstations. I have it
 > installed on all my boxes using fluxbox.
 >
 > I managed to teach my sister to use freebsd in 30 minutes. When I
 > built a comp for her a few months ago with FreeBSD 4.7 on it.

I think this entire thread boils down to how you define 'desktop'.
To me, a desktop is a computer used for surf, email, chatt, games and
similar non-serious tasks.
A computer used for programming, CAD, DTP, analyzis, monitoring or
similar is what I call a workstation, not a desktop.

A desktop user is often clueless about the inner workings of his os,
and so it should be. As long as he can get to the web, install a new
game or get his icons to display in 4 billion colors, he is satisfied.
Those are the users that need windows, not freebsd.

A workstation user has, or atleast should have, a basic understanding
of computers. He is usually able to install several os's using a
bootloader, he partitions his drives, configures and tweaks his system
and overall keep track of his software.
FreeBSD can make an excellent workstation.

I still claim that freebsd is not, and should not try to be, a good
desktop os. All replies Ive seen so far stating things like "but Ive
used freebsd as a desktop for years and I love it" are probably from
workstation users. Those that show of friends or family as examples
has always helped their loved ones to set things up or just given them
a machine where everything is preconfigured. The fact that a clueless
user can use a os that someone has spent hours setting up does not
mean the os is a good desktop. A good desktop os to me is a os where
the user himself can set things up the way he wants it, without help
from experienced users.