Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 12:23:14 -0700
From:      "Cheng Jin" <chengjin@fastsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble setting up outgoing pipe on a bridged interface

Hi,

I am using FreeBSD 5.4 (sorry that i am stuck using an old version) on a=
  =

machine with bridging enabled
on the two nics, vr0 and rl0.  i wanted to add two dummynet pipes on the=
  =

rl0 interface, one for incoming
bridged pkts received on rl0, and one for outgoing pkts transmitted by r=
l0.

Setting up the receiving pipe is no problem, but i have had a lot of  =

trouble getting the outgoing pipe
setup correctly.  none of the outgoing pipes i configured seem to take  =

effect.  i set the sysctl
variable bridge_ipfw=3D1

my first question is: is what i described possible for ipfw/dummynet in =
 =

FreeBSD 5.4?

Here is a sample of what i have tried for the ougoing pipe on rl0

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged out recv rl0  (now i s=
ee  =

why this isnt working, this is for
outgoing pkts recv on rl0, not an ougoing pipe transmitted by rl0)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any briged out xmit rl0 (outgoing =
 =

pkt transmitted by rl0, i read the
bridge code, and it appears that this wouldnt work for bridged pkts sinc=
e  =

dummynet is called before the
outgoing interface is determined)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged out recv vr0 xmit rl0 =
  =

(i guess this suffers the
same problem as the rule above?)

or

ipfw add 65532 pipe 2 all from any to any bridged via rl0 (last desperat=
e  =

attempt at making something work,
and i am not too sure why it do anything)

I could set up the pipe by configuring it to do "in recv vr0" and it wou=
ld  =

be fine, but I am quite
puzzled why i couldnt set up an ougoing pipe on the bridged interface li=
ke  =

I think I should be able to do.

Thanks!

Cheng