Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:27:28 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file size

In the last episode (Oct 02), Francisco Reyes said:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Sep 30), Rick Knebel said:
> > > i try to back my computers up to files on my redhat box , if the
> > > file goes over 2.4 Gigs or so it tells me that the file is full.
> > > People on the redhat list tell me that it is because there is a
> > > limit on how large a file can be on linux right now. Is there
> > > this type of limit with freebsd?
> >
> > should be able to create a file as large as your filesystem.
>
> Any changes needed in the kernel? I had some gzip files crash because
> I went over the 2GB file size limit on 4.0 Release with a GENERIC
> kernel.

If you had a crash, it wasn't due to that.  You might get a "invalid
compressed data--length mismatch" error when uncompressing a file over
2gb, because the internal gzip headers only store a 32-bit filesize for
the uncompressed file, but FreeBSD itself doesn't care.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com