Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 15:06:45 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts file question

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:43:14PM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>=20
> I'd like to clarify this.  In upgrading a 4.3-Stable box yesterday, I=20
> noted that there seems to be conflicting info in the hosts file about=20
> how to format the localhost entry.
>=20
> Stranger yet, the syntax for regular entries seems to be reversed=20
> from the localhost syntax. (ie the 'friendly name for localhost comes=20
> first in the template, last for regular hostnames?)
>=20
>=20
> This is the template from 4.5/4.6-PR:
>=20
> # ::1                   localhost localhost.my.domain
> # 127.0.0.1             localhost localhost.my.domain
> #
> # Imaginary network.
> #10.0.0.2               myname.my.domain myname
> #10.0.0.3               myfriend.my.domain myfriend

=46rom personal experince I'd say this is the most likely to work.
The issue is a large number of applications only look at the name field
they get hack from gethost*() and ignore the aliases when doing host
based auth of various sorts.  As a result, the first entry should be
your fqdn since that should be your hostname and thus be what gets
passed around.  The localhost entries are an exception because you
don't really refer to localhost.domain very often and instead call it
localhost which means you want that first.  Failure to scan the
hostent's h_aliases array is certaintly a bug, but that doesn't prevent
it from being fairly common. :(

-- Brooks

--=20

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk