Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:05:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs_Huitr=F3n?= <atf@rtn.uson.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question from Mexico

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Jesús Huitrón wrote:

> I'm a systems developer in Hermosillo, Sonora, México and i'm planing to
> start learning Unix or FreeBsd, but i have some dudes.
> Can Freebsd works with Windows 95 and applications made in Visual Basic,
> Visual Fox or Delphi?
> Do you have a representative office in México?
> I ask this, because i will need to develop an enterprise program
> (application) and I need to know if freebsd can help me on this.
> I hope you can help me.

Jesus, FreeBSD is an Operating system, not a program.  It doesn't operate
under Windows95, or under any other OS, it _is_ an OS itself.  It can
operate in a partition in the same machine as Windows, but not at the same
time.  Windows95 executeables don't work on FreeBSD, because the format is
totally different, and the form of system support different (and far more
advanced).  The Microsoft tools don't work under FreeBSD; this is Unix,
not Windows.

There are some things that work better under Windows (often because of
compatiblity with your customer's ot erh software) and many things that
work far better under FreeBSD, because of the relatively higher
sophistication of some parts of FreeBSD (which trace their roots back to
BSD Unix).

This is a complicated subject, but really well worth your time to
investigate.  For one thing, the software develoment environment under
unix is great.  For another thing, most of the software develoment tools
under FreeBSD are FREE, and teh source code is totally available.  Next
time you can't understand how a library call is working, how about reading
the source code yourself, and figuring it out that way?

BTW, this is a volunteer organization.  There are other FreeBSDers in
Mexico (they post here, you may even get a reply now from some of them)
and while we don't have "representatives", we have a LOT of friendly help
available to you, just ask your questions!

> Thanks,
>

> Jesús Huitrón
> Retorno 102 No. 208 Col. Modelo 83190
> Hermosillo, Sonora, México