Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:28:41 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:19:31PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

> One more thing -- A mid-term goal is for the pre-built docs (HTML, PS, PDF
> and so on) to be distributed as binary packages, to be managed using the
> pkg_* family.  I'm pretty certain this precludes putting the documentation
> anywhere other than a subdirectory of /usr/local/, so the old /usr/doc/
> directory is right out.

No, it doesn't preclude any locations.

Whether the packages are custom built or built by through the ports
system, it is possible for them to be in any arbitrary location.
With a little care, it is also possible for a pkg_install(1) user
to install them into any *other* arbitrary location.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.