Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:14:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
Cc:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, somsky@annwn.phys.washington.edu, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Examples of FreeBSD SMP success?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Adam Strohl wrote:

> I have dual Celeron 300As clocked to 450Mhz (100Mhz x4.5), 128k of cache
> per CPU running at 450Mhz.
>
> It takes around 5 hours on one CPU to clear a block, and litterally the
> same time to do two at the same time (I tested it, I can't remeber the
> numbers exactly, but they were like a second off).
>
> - ----( Adam Strohl )------------------------------------------------ -
> -  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
> -  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -
> - ----------------------------------------( DigitalSpark.NET )------- -
>
> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Mats Lofkvist wrote:
>
> > Adam Strohl wrote:
> >
> >    Running two copies of seti@home results in twice the number of blocks
> >    being cleared in the same amount of time as 1.
> >
> > How large caches do you have on that machine?!?
> > On my kind-of-dated dual pentium pro with 256k caches a seti@home block
> > takes 24.6 hours on one cpu, but when running two in parallell they need
> > 43.9 hours each. So the speedup going from one to two processors is a
> > mere 12%. Easier tasks as rc5des or parallell makes achive close to factor
> > two speedups.
> >
> > (I'm running current, cvsupped and rebuilt august 14.)
> >
> >       _
> > Mats Lofkvist
> > mal@algonet.se

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-smp" in the body of the message

How on earth do you do it? Softupdates?? My UniProcessor Celeron366 @ 458
takes 15 hours (4.0 current of 13 September). I do use it for mail and the
like, but no CPU intensive stuff.
I have also run FreeBSD (both 3.1 and 4.0) on a Dual PPro 200 @ 233. One
Seti file was only slightly quicker than letting the box do two at a time.
Maybe 5 % or so. Of course two CPU's need twice the amount of RAM, I
would say. But I hardly expect anyone running an SMP box with less than 64
MB. So that cannot be the issue, probably.

Marc

marc@oldserver.demon.nl