Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:55:37 -0600
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Just" building the lib part of world

Whew... :)  Me too unfortunately.  I know basically what it takes to
make a thread
safe function... and I have found good implementations of getpwnam_r in
other OSes
and some not so good looking ones as well but I haven't really been
able to integrate
one into our current system which appears to be centralized in
lib/libc/net/nsdispatch.c.

There is a lot of global state in there that would hinder the ability
to make a fully reentrant
function.

It may be that the whole subsystem must be replaced before this is
really possible in a clean
way.

Take that above statement however  you wish... I am pretty new to this
whole kernel/OS thing :).

Dave