Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:12:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Username size limit suggestion

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Benjamin Gavin wrote:

[snip]
> Suggestion:
>   I noticed that the adduser script has the 16 character limit hard-coded
> into the file.  I was thinking that it might be a good idea to make that a
> configurable global variable or something of that sort (i.e. $UT_NAMESIZE,
> ala. sys/params.h, at the top of the file.)  That way those of us who want
> longer names could easily change the variable and be done with it.  I
> understand that it is probably done this way to force people to know what
> they are doing when they change it.

I think this would be a great idea in the interest of seamlessness.

[snip]
>     b.  change src/sys/sys/params.h (#define UT_NAMESIZE) to reflect the
> new length
>     c.  change src/include/utmp.h (#define MAXLOGNAME (UT_NAMESIZE+1))

These are kind of backwards: it's src/sys/sys/param.h (#define MAXLOGNAME
(UT_NAMESIZE+1)) and src/include/utmp.h (#define UT_NAMESIZE).

>     c.  cat /dev/null > /var/log/wtmp

Hmm.  I'd still dump myself in the "novice FreeBSD user" category, so bear
this in mind when reading this, but I thought wtmp was used by ac(8) for
login accounting, which may in some cases be important for systems already
in production environments.  Maybe a mv /var/log/wtmp /var/log/wtmp.old&&
touch /var/log/wtmp?

>   Is that it??  I am going to be completing testing, but I am wondering
> what gotchas are waiting for me :)...

As far as I know, it seems to be complete (aside from the minor
corrections above).  I'll be testing it too, once this buildworld finishes
(the drive my src & obj trees were on decided to stop working during a
buildworld.  Good thing I never bothered putting it in my fstab :)