Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 02:13:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, davids@webmaster.com, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> > IE is not the best browser... though I will give them the GIF
> > decoding JNI in their Java/JavaScript, since this is much faster
> > than Netscape's "pure Java" implementation.
>
> You have to hand it to them - their rendering engine is much faster
> and produces much nicer-looking results than Netscape's.

There are two factors here:

1)	Netscape changed its pallette for some reason which
	they still have not been able to explain, resulting
	in inconsistant coloring everywhere.

	This can be fixed in Mozilla, if anyone who cares
	about color rendering cares to fix the code; it may
	already have been fixed.  8-|.

2)	The rendering engine in Netscape is in Java, which
	is by definition slower than binary code, as all
	interpreted languages are slower than compiled
	languages on all but bytecode interpreting hardware.

	This can also be fixed, but it's very hard to find
	other places where Netscape sucks compared to IE...
	other than OS integration, I guess.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.