Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:12:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: keeping a system in use during a complete rebuild?

dochawk@psu.edu wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> world doesn't worry me much, save that I'm no longer convinced
> that it is occuring properly.  Among other things, des_cript ends
> up missing, and the system tells me at times that I"m not a
> US_RESIDENT--though this is setin /etc/make.conf
>
> I'm also getting weird sound results, apparent attempts to load
> the linux module after it's already loaded, and a couple of other
> weird events.

Hmm... Who knows... Something obviously got corrupted. I'd probably
clean out /usr/src and /usr/obj, run fsck -p (unmount the filesystems
first :-b), restore the GENERIC kernel, re-cvsup the sources, rebuild,
and install. (In that order). Or, to be absolutely sure, you might
still consider remaking the filesystems and reinstalling from fresh
media. Hardware problems can wreak all sorts of lingering havoc on
things.

> > You can upgrade most all ports on a running system without any
> > worries. Check out the portupgrade port|package to make life easy.
>
> That's where this mess started :)  Portupgrade no longer works,
> and /usr/ports/INSTALL.db and .rbs are gone and won't come back.
>
> whoa, hold on. A little dinkin here, and a little there, and
> suddenly, after days of fighting, portsdb -uU is actually doing
> something!  I may be home free!  Yeehah!
>
> hawk, who now sees that sacrificing the bunny *did* pay off . . .

:-) If you're not home free yet, you can always just rm -Rf /usr/ports
and re-fetch the ports dist (ports.tar.gz), to start out clean.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon