Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:05:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers  (fwd)

This may be interesting to you guys.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:05:47 -0800
From: "Reginald S. Perry" <reggie@aa.net>
To: Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc: "Jay S. Barlis" <bickoy@adnc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: Device Drivers

>  Apparently Buslogic hasn't been forthcoming with the necessary
> information for someone to write a device driver.  But they're offering
> fairly inexpensive ($60-$70) "Linux upgrades" (hmph) to the BT-948 or
> BT-958, depending which Flashpoint model you have.  I think the quick
> route to that is to contact <randys@mylex.com>.

This is rather curious. I went to http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/ and
saw this:

Linux BusLogic Driver -- FlashPoint Support Now Available

Mylex/BusLogic recently issued a press release announcing support for
the FlashPoint SCSI Host Adapters on Linux. BusLogic has provided me
with the FlashPoint Driver Developer's Kit, which comprises
documentation and freely redistributable source code for the
FlashPoint SCCB Manager. The SCCB Manager is the library of code that
runs on the host CPU and performs functions analogous to the firmware
on the MultiMaster host adapters. Thanks to BusLogic's release of the
SCCB Manager, the Linux BusLogic driver now supports the FlashPoint
Host Adapters as well.

----
	You can download the source for the Linux driver from this
site. So someone is getting info from Buslogic. I am concerned about
this because I have a Buslogic card in my 486 and I planning to
upgrade my setup this summer. Now I wasnt planning to get a FlashPoint
card, but I could take the above statments as meaning that the FreeBSD
group does not have a very good relationship with Buslogic. Of course
I am not taking it that way. What I am thinking is that the Adaptec
drivers might be better supported on FreeBSD than the Buslogic
drivers. BTW, this _will not_ make me buy an Adaptec board when I
upgrade my system. :-)

-Reggie

Reginald S. Perry				reggie@aa.net