Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:59:58 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Subject:   Re: NFS Locking Issue

> Michel Talon wrote:
>
> >>Using Ubuntu as the server I connected a FreeBSD 5.4 and 6-stable box as
> >>clients on a 100Mb/s network.  The time trial used a dummy 100Meg file
> >>transfered from the server to the client.
> >>

> > I have similar experiences here. With FreeBSD-6.1 as client (using an Intel
> > etherexpress card at 100 Mb/s) and FC5 server i see full wire speed for file
> > transfers via NFS.
> >

> >>After the 4th of July I intend to test Ubuntu as a client to a FreeBSD
> >>6-STABLE server on a gigabit lan to run similar time trials.  I'm
> >>looking to confirm what I can only suspect at this point, which is that
> >>the NFS server on FreeBSD is mucked up, but the client is okay.
> >

> > I have the same impression. The 6.1-RELEASE client seems to work well.
> > Yesterday i have upgraded my 6.0 (*) box to 6.1 and i have not seen a single
> > NFS problem after that. Moreover i am using rpc.statd, and rpc.lockd
> > and they work OK and are really functional.
> > I have the following sysctl which may have an effect on the problem:
> > vfs.nfs.access_cache_timeout=5
> >
> > So it may well be that it is the FreeBSD NFS server code which has problems.
> >
> > (*) 6.0-RELEASE client definitively does not work OK for me.
> >

> For what it's worth, I recently spent a lot of time putting FreeBSD 6.1
> to the test as both an NFS client and server in a mixed OS environment.
> By far and away, the biggest problems that I encountered with it were
> due to linux NFS bugs.  CentOS, FC, and SuSE all created huge problems
> under load, and it was impossible to get stable results until I started
> using 2.6.12 and higher kernels.
>
> I have a variety of theories that I wish I had had time to test.  I've
> seen hints of problems with READDIRPLUS, with FreeBSD's habit of mapping
> GETATTR to ACCESS, and with handle sizes.  But in any case, it's been no
> secret that Linux has had very severe NFS problems in the past, and that
> the NetApp folks have worked very hard over the last year to fix them in
> the most recent Linux kernel releases.  The only real fault I give
> FreeBSD is rpc.lockd.  It's pretty much useless in all but trivial
> circumstances.  Beyond that, make sure you're using a linux kernel that
> is relatively recent.

In my case our main servers are NetApp, and the problems are more related
to am-utils running into some race condition (need more time to debug this :-)
the other problem is related to throughput, freebsd is slower than linux,
and while freebsd/nfs/tcp is faster on Freebsd than udp, on linux
it's the same. So it seems some tunning is needed.

our main problem now is samba/rpc.lockd, we are stuck with a server
running FreeBSD  5.4 which crashes, and we can't upgrade to 6.1 because lockd
doesn't work.

So, if someone is willing to look into the lockd issue, we would like
to help.

danny