Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:20:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   IPfilter and NAT

Hiya,

  If anyone else is using NAT, I'd sure appreciate some pointers in setting it
up.  I've got everything compiled (I think) and my kernel rebuilt and
installed, but I'm having trouble getting it configured.  I'm taking it on
faith that something's actually different from before I installed it.

  Specifically, what I'm after is this.  I've an ISP that gives me one fixed
IP.  My LAN at home has 3 systems on it.  I'm using 192.168.100.* on my LAN.
As I understand it, with IPfilter and NAT, I should be able to set up one
FreeBSD box as a gateway (do I need to set Gateway=YES?) and my other machines
should be able to just connect to anywhere on the net transparently.  The
gateway will automatically act like a proxy for me and it won't be like the
fwtk where you have to negotiate the proxy servers.  Of course, the affect will
be the same as with the fwtk -- meaning the outside world will only see the IP
address of the gateway.  Is all of that correct?

  One problem I'm having is 'ipnat' complains "open: no such file or directory"
now matter what I do.  I'm using ip-filt3.1.1 and FreeBSD 2.1.6.

--
                    -=(*)=-   Kristyn Fayette   -=(*)=-
                           kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu