Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:18:10 -0800
From:      Russell Jackson <raj@csub.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: nvidia-driver-1.0.9746

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:17:46PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> "FreeBSD WickerBill" writes:
> > On 1/21/07, Dmitriy Ivakin - Private <ivakinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > After update my Nvidia GeForce Mx440 driver to current version, I
> > > found now this version is not support my GPU. This is end of Xorg log:
> > >
> > > (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> > >         compiled for 6.9.0, module version = 1.0.1
> > >         Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> > >         ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
> > > (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  1.0-9746  Tue Dec 19 13:23:45 PST 2006
> > > (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
> > > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 GPU installed in this system is
> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 1.0-96xx Legacy drivers.
> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0):     Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.htmlfor
> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0):     more information.  The 1.0-9746 NVIDIA driver will
> > > ignore
> > > (WW) NVIDIA(0):     this GPU.  Continuing probe...
> > > (EE) No devices detected.
> > >
> > > Fatal server error:
> > > no screens found
> > > -------------------------------------
> > > As result my Xorg can't run. What is the problem?
> > >

> > Just what it says. That driver doesn't support your card.  Go to the link
> > shown in the error, down load the latest 1.0-96xx Legacy drivers and follow
> > the directions they give you to install it.
> >

> Just do what the large comment in the Makefile says to do:
> 	# Starting with version 7667, NVidia has dropped support for numerous
> 	# "legacy" GPUs.  One can, however, build the port with -DWITH_LEGACY_GPU_SUPPOR
> 	# to go with version 7184 of the driver.
> et cetera.

This is only half correct. A number of GPUs (gf4mx included) were
orphaned in the 97xx driver release. The 96xx series still supports
these chips, so it's a bit absurd to expect users to go back to the 76xx
driver.

This one bit me as well on a gf4 ti card as well. I guess this is nvidia
nudging everyone to upgrade their hardware. Could soemone remind me
again why binary blobs are good?

--
Russell A. Jackson
Network Analyst