Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:50:46 -0700
From:      K Anderson <freebsduser@comcast.net>
To:        duane@damiano.name
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing Trouble

Duane A. Damiano wrote:
> I'm a Linux person trying out FreeBSD for the first time.
>
> I just installed 5.1.  Most things work pretty well so far, but I can't
> get the print system to work right.  I can print plain text files, but I
> can't print web pages or .ps files.
>
> My printer is a HP DeskJet 694C.  I have a file called
> /usr/local/libexec/if-ps, which is an exact copy of the one listed
> (called ifhp) in the "FreeBSD Handbook."  The only difference is that
> I replaced "djet500" with "cdj670".  (I tried other choices also.)
>
> When I try to print a web page or a .ps file, nothing happens.  I know
> that lpr is seeing my if-ps file because when I put "echo test" into it,
> "test" gets printed.
>
> Here's what I see in /var/log/lpd-errs:
>
> Error: /invalidfileaccess in --.outputpage--
> Operand stack:
>    1   true
> Execution stack:
>    %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
> %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push
> --nostringval--   0   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> Dictionary stack:
>    --dict:1059/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:170/200(L)--
> Current allocation mode is local
> Last OS error: 45
> GNU Ghostscript 7.06: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
> Aug  2 14:40:18 swing lpd[606]: HP694C: job could not be printed
> (cfA030swing.dad.org)
>

> What's going on here?  Is ghostscript not working?  (GhostView seems
> to work okay - except it won't print.)
>

> I see that CUPS is on my system.  But, I don't see any documentation
> for it.  On my Linux system, these two statements in my /etc/rc.local
> take care of everything:
>
> /usr/sbin/cupsd
> /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p DeskJet -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m deskjet.ppd
>
> But, there's no lpadmin on my FreeBSD system.
>
> If someone could give me a simple CUPS solution, that would be fine
> too.
>
> Duane

Check to see if cups is up and running.
Check to see if you have cups-lpr, cups, and cups-base installed. If not
install the missing items.
You'll need to replace freebsd's lp* binaries with cups's binaries (I
think it tells you to do that too, or something like that)
browse to localhost:631 and do administrative tasks of checking the
printers to ensure they are listed. If not then do the install printer
process. Oh, in your /etc/make.conf do a man on that and put in the
option that tells BSD to not install/compile the lp* and thus accidently
replacing them with cups's.

That should get you going, hopefully.