Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2016 00:16:59 +0000
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=E9?= <royger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@FreeBSD.org, xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Imported Xen 4.7: no blkback

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> One of the more relevant changes in 4.7 regarding FreeBSD is the support for
> block hotplug scripts. This means that we now have the option to use
> backends different than simple block or regular files, provided that someone
> writes the proper hotplug scripts to attach them (I've heard there are some
> iSCSI hotplug scripts around). This however requires changes in blkback, so
> if you plan to use the Xen 4.7 port, please make sure that you are running a
> kernel that contains revision r301269 (or any later version). The same also

I am running it with r301685 and the HVM guests have some trouble with
block devices.

SeaBIOS does not find /dev/zvol/zroot/freebsd1,raw,xvda,w to boot FreeBSD
from, after chaging to "hda" I get up to the kernel mountroot prompt
(Xen block devices seem to be detected in dmesg).

What used to be Windows 2016 domU with /dev/zvol/zroot/windows0,raw,hda,w
ends up in the Tianocore UEFI shell. Block devices seem to be available,
I can even list the fs0: partition, but no booting further possible.

Marcin

# more freebsd.cfg
builder = "hvm"
name = "FreeBSD"
disk = [
        '/dev/zvol/zroot/freebsd1,raw,xvda,w',
        '/dev/zvol/zroot/freebsd2,raw,xvdb,w'
]
boot = "c"
#usbdevice = 'tablet'
#nographics = 1
serial = [ "file:/tmp/boot.log" ]
vnc = 1
#vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'
vif = ['bridge=bridge0,mac=00:02:04:08:fd:f0']
memory=2048
vcpus=1
vga = "cirrus"
videoram = 16

# more windows-run.cfg
builder = "hvm"
memory = 4096
vcpus = 2
name = "Windows2016"
disk = [
        '/dev/zvol/zroot/windows0,raw,hda,w',
        '/dev/zvol/zroot/vs2013,raw,hdb,w',
#        '/root/win/install.iso,raw,hdc:cdrom,r'
]
boot = "c" # Boot to hard disk image
vnc = 2
#vnclisten = "0.0.0.0"
usbdevice = 'tablet'
on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'restart'
#on_crash = 'restart'
on_crash = 'destroy'
acpi = 1
bios = 'ovmf'
vif = [ 'bridge=bridge0,mac=00:16:3e:5d:0d:48' ]
videoram=16
vga = "stdvga"