Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 09:54:02 -0700
From:      Ed Hall <edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com>
To:        "stan deese" <eseed1st@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install & xwindows

You're going to have to be more specific about your hardware.  What
graphics card do you have?  What steps have you performed in configuring
the X window system?  Make and model for your other hardware will help
us in suggesting solutions for your other problems as well.

Unlike the old days, where everything came from DEC and all was right
with the world, there are literally thousands of hardware vendors,
each with one goal: make it work (or at least appear to work) with
MS Windows.  Drivers and other software for MS Windows usually ship
with the hardware, allowing the manufacturer to pretty much do things
any old way and still meet this criterion.  Through pluck and cunning,
we've managed to get a lot of this vast and varied mountain of
hardware working with FreeBSD, sometimes better than the vendor
ever intended for MS Windows.  However, though a good deal of the
detection and configuration of that hardware is done by FreeBSD itself,
there are still many things that can or must be configured manually.

Your problems aren't Unix or a 52-year-old brain (at 46 my brain
handles Unix just fine, and I expect it to do just as well in six
years).  It's getting Unix to fit on top of hardware that often was
designed in ignorance of Unix's very existence.  Make a list of each
board and peripheral, with model and vendor, and take a fresh look
at the docs and installation process.  If things still don't go
right, share the gory details with us and we'll try to help.

		-Ed