Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:49:31 -0700
From:      "Aaron" <click46@webpimps.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How does sysinstall know?

Hello,
   While busily reading up on my forgotten cdrom mounting skills, it
occured to me. /stand/sysinstall knows just where to find my CD,
regardless of its bus type or number of drives. So I ask you, if
sysinstall knows where to look intuitively...why doesnt the kernel (or
maybe thats the wrong word - my unix terminology is still in its
infancy). For just simple cdrom mounts...why not - mount_cd9660 /mnt - no
device or anything. Let the computer sort it out.
   In anyevent, if someone has the knowledge and the free time, I'd
really like to know how sysinstall does it. Its...nifty.

thanks - click