Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:17:55 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Schleich, Arno Rene" <arnschle@iupui.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Pavilion DV6110us notebook install problems

:

:
> (vi)                No trace of the wlan - everything related to atheros
> compiled into a costum kernel

You need to use the Windows NIDS driver for your Broadcom Wireless
adapter.  Just download:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34001-34500/sp34152.exe

Then install archivers/cabextract, and use cabextract to extract the
bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5*.sys files.

cabextract -q -L -F 'bcmwl5*' sp34152.exe

Then use ndisgen to build the kernel module.

ndisgen bcmwl5.inf bcmwl564.sys

Then copy the kernel module to /boot/modules, and add
bcmwl564_sys_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.

You also need to apply the diff from -CURRENT that adds several new
functions to the NDIS kernel module, that are needed by the Broadcom
driver.

fetch -o ndis.diff \
"http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/compat/ndis/subr_ntoskrnl.c.diff?r1=1.87&r2=1.88"

Then apply it and build the new ndis.ko module.

cd /usr/src ; patch < /location/of/ndis.diff
cd /sys/modules/ndis ; make obj ; make ; make install

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.