Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:22:52 -0700
From:      Joshua Oremzn <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        Kyle Jamieson <kasj78@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE mutt & color

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 06:39:31PM -0700 or thereabouts, Kyle Jamieson wrote:
> I'm running 4.8-RELEASE; relatively new to FreeBSD.  I
> get color in vim and ls, but not mutt.  How can I get
> color in mutt?
>
> - yes, I've tried setting TERM=xterm-color; no change.
> - yes, I've installed ncurses; no change.
> - yes, I realize this may be a mutt-specific q, but
> I'm asking for help here.

Put this in ~/.muttrc:
source ~/.muttcolor

and put this in ~/.muttcolor:
### --snip-- ###
#
# -*-- Mutt Theme 'OpenBSD' --*-
# By  Han Boetes
# Absolutely NO copyright (c) 2001 (Do with it whatever you like)
# I was inprired by this poster when creating this theme:
# http://www.openbsd.org/art/BSDPoster2.jpg
# I bought that poster at hal2001
#
### Modified by me :-)

# Colors you can use:
#
# white   -   brightwhite
# yellow  -   brightyellow
# cyan    -   brightcyan
# blue    -   brightblue
# green   -   brightgreen
# black   -   brightblack

color normal      white        default
color attachment  cyan         default
color bold        cyan         default
color underline   brightwhite  default
color error       yellow       default
color indicator   black        white
color message     cyan        default
color status      black        white

color quoted      green        default
color quoted1     yellow       default
color quoted2     blue         default
color quoted3     brightblack  default
color quoted4     brightblack  default
color quoted5     brightblack  default

color signature   brightblack  default
#color tilde       brightcyan   default
color tree        green        default
color markers     brightblack  default

color body        brightyellow default  "[^ <]*:\/\/[^ >]*" # for URLs
color body        yellow default  "[A-Za-z0-9_\.\-]+@[A-Za-z0-9_\.\-]*[A-Za-z0-9_\.\-]+" # For email adresses

color hdrdefault  brightblack         default
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^date: *"
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^from: *"
color header      brightwhite   default  "^subject: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^to: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^delivecyan-to: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^cc: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^bcc: *"
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^reply-to: *"
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^mail-followup-to: *"
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^old-return-path: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^x-mailer: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^user-agent: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^x-operating-system: *"
#color header      brightcyan   default  "^x-mailing-list: *"
#color header      cyan         default  "^in-reply-to: *"

color index       brightwhite  default "~N"   # New
color index       cyan         default "~O"   # Unread
color index       yellow default "~g"   # gpg signed
color index       brightblue   default "~G"   # gpg encrypted
color index       brightwhite  default "~F"   # Flagged
color index       brightcyan   default "~T"   # Tagged
color index       brightwhite  default "~f MAILER-DAEMON@*"
color index       brightwhite  default "~f Mailer-Daemon@*"
color index	  green	       default "~h ^X.Mailer..Microsoft.Outlook"
color index       brightblack  default "~D"   # Deleted

# }}}

HTH

-- Josh