Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 08:56:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        David Greenman <davidg@root.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs leaking?

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Charles Owens wrote:
> I am seeing the same behavior as well!  I also have NMBCLUSTERS set to
> 4096 but according to 'netstat -m', only 156k is allocated to mbufs!!  I
> was wondering if I was interpretting it correctly.  Any theories?

Humm... There goes my theory.  (I'm running some uncommited code from
Matt Thomas for the new ZNYX 314 bridge support.)  I was going to try
compiling w/o the code, on the off chance that it was the problem
(it didn't seem likely anyway) but I guess I shouldn't trouble myself
since other people observe this behavior.

Anyone from -current see this?

> 8/76 mbuf clusters in use
> 156 Kbytes allocated to network (13% in use)

Heh, mine says 98% in use, and the box is idle, with only 2 of the
5 ethernet segments active.  I worry when it fusses that it can't
allocate ARP buffers...

> ident           POBOX
> maxusers        100               # <---- Could this have an effect?

I've tried mine at 128, 256 etc... No effect.

At 256, the code to calculate 'nmbclusters' looks something like
512 + 256 * 16, which is above the 8192 I have "NMBCLUSTERS=" set to.
Either way, it should allocate more than enough memory...

I'll have console access to the machine when I go in to work, so I can
diddle with it there w/o fear of messing something up and isolating
some of the machines it's routing.  (heh, its just some classroom
machines. fsck'em right? :)

Thanks and have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|