Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/24786: missing FILES descriptions in sa(4)

The following reply was made to PR docs/24786; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	julian@freebsd.org, mjacob@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:48:07 -0800

 Rich Morin wrote:

 > So I gather that the device is ALWAYS used in "raw" mode, so there
 > is really no need for an explicit "r" designation.  Getting rid of
 > the "r" versions cleans things up a lot, so it works for me...
 >
 > Regarding the ".[0-3]" extensions, I am still perplexed.  It sounds
 > like the mode bits are overloaded with the [en] designations, as:
 >
 >      /dev/sa0.0         Corresponds to sub-mode 00 (i.e., /dev/sa0)
 >      /dev/sa0.1         Corresponds to sub-mode 01 (i.e., /dev/nsa0)
 >      /dev/sa0.2         Corresponds to sub-mode 10 (i.e., /dev/esa0)

 nope..

 > But if that's true, I don't understand how there can be names such as
 > ersa0.0.  Finally, mode 3 is actually being created by MAKEDEV, but it
 > is not mentioned as a possibility by the man page.  What's going on?

 I'm not sure if it's STILL true, but when I write it originally,
 the submodes were so that you could have a single device programmed up to use
 different
 block sizes and densities, and teh nyou could read/write tapes in those
 densities
 by just using the different subdevices.
 (e.g. .1 might write in 3K blocks and .2 might right in variable
 block mode)
 useful if you are distributing media to people with machines
 with different capabilities.

 --
       __--_|\  Julian Elischer
      /       \ julian@elischer.org