Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:52:23 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.org>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.5.1 --> 4.3 upgrade troubles

On Thursday 26 April 2001 13:27, Bryce Newall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to upgrade a system from 3.5.1-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE.
> Following the directions, I am trying to build the world using "make
> -DNOPERL -DNOSUIDPERL buildworld".  Very early in the compilation, it
> bombs out with the following:  (please forgive the paste)
>
> c++ -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include/g++ -O -pipe
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
> -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib
> -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc:80: warning:
> `catch', `throw', and `try' are all C++ reserved words
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc: In function
> `void operator delete(void *)':
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/new.cc:82:
> declaration of `operator delete(void *)' throws different exceptions...
> <internal>:82: ...from previous declaration here
> *** Error code 1
>
> I did make sure to remove the existing /usr/obj directory before starting
> buildworld.  I seem to recall running into something like this once
> before, but I cannot remember the solution.  It probably has to do with
> trying to use 3.x libraries instead of 4.x, but I'm not sure.
>
> Any advice will be breatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance,

From /usr/src/UPDATE:

> To update from 3.x to 4.x stable
	--------------------------------
	READ -STABLE ARCHIVES FOR THE LAST WEEK OR TWO BEFORE
	STARTING THIS PROCESS.  UPDATING MAY LAG BEHIND A LITTLE
	A GOTCHAS ARE OFTEN REPORTED IN FREEBSD-STABLE@FREEBSD.ORG
	BEFORE BEING INCLUDED HERE.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO REMOTE
	MACHINES, MAKE SURE THAT THE EXACT VERSION YOU ARE UPDATING
	THEM TO WORKS ON LOCAL MACHINES BEFORE PROCEEDING.
	<see notes below>				[3]
	cd /usr/src
	<see notes below>				[2]
	make buildworld -DNOPERL
	<follow directions to build/install a kernel>
	cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
	make install
	<follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>	[1]
	reboot
	<in single user>
	cd /usr/src
	cd gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/install-info
	make install
	cd ../../../..
	ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
	make installworld -DNOPERL			[5]
	mergemaster					[4]
	reboot
	<multi-user>

	[1] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210.  In
	addition, you should disable any third party modules such as
	vmware so that you don't crash your system on reboot.
	[2] If you have any of the following in your /etc/make.conf,
	please comment them out before following these instructions
	and then do a make buildworld + make installworld after you
	are back to <multi-user> above:
		MAKE_KERBEROS4
	[3] Update to 4.x-stable sources.  Make sure that you get all
	the parts.  If you are using cvsup files that are older than a
	couple of months, be sure they have all the components listed
	in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  Crypto and secure are now
	required.
	[4] This step is optional, but is generally a good idea.  If
	you wish to use many of the new features in 4.x, you must do
	this anyway.

	To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
	4.x-STABLE
	----------
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	reboot	(in single user) [1]
	make installworld
	mergemaster
	reboot

	[1] You can often get away without doing this step as the
	system will be properly updated.  During the running of the
	installworld, however, system components may break and other
	oddities may happen.  Don't do this on systems that aren't
	otherwise quiet as unpredictable results may happen.  If in
	doubt, reboot into single user.  For remote installs, keep
	a separate kernel around and use a serial console if at all
	possible.

Hope this helps,

Beech
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510