Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:09:58 -0500
From:      Henry Sobotka <sobotka@axess.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with large drives?

I'm trying to install from Power Pak v4 (April 2000) onto a recently
purchased 20.5-GB drive (WD205BARTL). The boot promptly gets lost and
defaults to fd0.  The CD-ROM drive is a standard IDE ATAPI. If I feed
the process the floppies it wants, I get as far as the "probing: this
may take a while..." screen before the system locks after what sounds
like a drive check. A search of your lists/archives for "20.5 GB" and
"large drive" turned up a number of messages that are "inaccessible";
didn't notice anything about this in the FAQ either.

The BIOS on this machine has been updated for > 8.4 GB support and I
already have several other operating systems up and running. Also,
before buying the Power Pak, a test boot with downloaded FreeBSD files
worked fine (i.e. got to the installation selection menu). But that was
before I installed the new drive, which is why it's my prime suspect as
opposed to any other hardware.

Suggestions?

TIA,

Henry