Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 16:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jason zeng <jason388600@yahoo.ca>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to search keywords in all directories

Hello! Giorgos,

  Thanks for your response. It is very useful for me. I tried it works!  so I don't warry at weekend to read a lots of programs at home. :-)

  Jason

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:  On 2006-05-18 15:22, jason zeng  wrote:
> Hello!
>
> our system is runing on FreeBSD 5.3. using php+mysql. now I
> take over codes(programs) management and maintains.there are a
> lots of .php code and Database tables. what I have now are
> database, tables structures, and just a few programs
> description. so I don't know the relationship in these php
> programs. I really need read these programs when sometime it
> has something wrong.I have to do these troubleshooting.
>
> I want to know if there are some shortcut way to speed up my
> work.  there is a common program in my system that many others
> call it.the common.php hase many classes and functions, for
> example, function displaySelect(), I hope to find how many
> programs call this function and where these programs are? how
> can I search them using Unix command (s)? What I know is all
> php programs are at /usr/local/php/html directory.from there,
> there are many sub-directories.

[Text wrapped]

Please try capitalizing sentences & wrap your text using a more
reasonable line length (i.e. 72-75 characters per line).  It is
awful trying to read stuff like the original.

I think what you are looking for is something like:

        $ cd /usr/local/php/html
 $ find . -type f | xargs fgrep common.php