Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 17:48:48 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dougy@brizzie.org
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Re: upgrade from 4.0 to 4.3

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:38:08PM +1200, rshea@opendoor.co.nz wrote:
>=20
> > I have that happen with over 50% of ports etc .... most reliably way
> > to upgrade
> > appears to be save anything you need on another machine & do a fresh
> > install
> > from CD
>=20
> Is this really true ? I've got a 3.4-RELEASE machine which I've never cvs=
upped.=20
> I've been putting off the evil day (everything is nice and stable and I'm=
=20
> disinclined to rock the boat).
>=20
> Am I right in thinking that I can cvsup up from 3.4-R to some current lev=
el ?

It's more work to upgrade between 3.x and 4.x by recompiling from
source -- in fact, it's probably not worth the trouble (there's a way
that works, but it involves cvsupping to various releases and
recompiling about 4 times).  We've taken a lot more care to preserve
the upgrade path thesedays though.  For upgrading to 4.3, you're best
off doing a binary upgrade.

Doug's experiences with ports certainly are *not* typical.

Kris

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--